>> Home > Support Otago >
Foundations & Trusts
The University has established The University of Otago Foundation Trust, a New Zealand registered charitable trust, as well as The Otago University Trust in the UK, the University of Otago in America, Inc. in the USA and the University of Otago Foundation for Malaysia. The terms of these Trusts allow in-country tax benefits for Otago’s donors living abroad and ensure that the expressed wishes of donors are fulfilled.
The University of Otago Foundation Trust
The University of Otago Foundation Trust is a charitable trust which receives and administers donations, bequests and sponsorship monies for University and academic priorities. The terms of this Trust ensure that the wishes of donors and sponsors are fulfilled.
Board of Trustees
- Mr John Ward, Chancellor, University of Otago (Convener)
- Professor Harlene Hayne, Vice-Chancellor, University of Otago
- Mr Stephen Higgs, Member - University of Otago Council
- Miss Lorraine Isaacs, Member - University of Otago Council
- Mr Stuart McLauchlan, Pro-Chancellor - University of Otago Council
- Mr John Patrick, Chief Operating Officer, University of Otago
- Mr Michael Sidey, Member - University of Otago Council
- Dr Royden Somerville, QC, Member - University of Otago Council
For further Information please contact
The Foundation Trust Secretary
T: +64 3 479 8250
The Otago University Trust (UK)
The Otago University Trust was established to provide a tax-effective vehicle for University of Otago supporters living in the United Kingdom. All gifts made through the Trust are transferred in full to the University of Otago for the precise purpose for which the gift was made. There are no expenses associated with the Trust as all the work is carried out by the Trustees on a pro bono basis. The Trust is registered as a charity with Inland Revenue enabling it to reclaim tax on contributions made by U.K. taxpayers. The Charities Commission oversees the Trust.
By making gift aid donations, and where the donor is a U.K taxpayer, the gift is enhanced by 25% from H.M. Revenue and Customs. Therefore for every £100 received from a donor the Trust receives £125. If the donor is a higher rate taxpayer, they will receive a deduction of the difference between the higher rate of tax and the standard rate of tax. Currently this is 20%. For gifts made up until 5 April 2011 there is a government supplement of a further 3 pence payable to the charity.
Any bequest left to the Otago University Trust is exempt from the 40% inheritance tax that is levied on an estate. The Trustees will ensure that, where there is an expression of wish for the funds to be used to support a particular aspect of the work of the University, the bequest will be directed there.
Donations made to the Otago University Trust are administered by Chapel & York, PO Box 50, Lingfield, RH7 6FT.
For further Information about the Otago University Trust (UK), or to discuss giving in the UK please contact:
The Otago University Trust
c/o Chapel & York Limited
PO Box 50
Alumni of the University of Otago in America, Inc.
The Alumni of the University of Otago in America, Inc. (AUOA) is a nonprofit corporation founded by the University of Otago to encourage alumni, friends, and colleagues to support research and scholarship.
Board of Directors
- Geoffrey Nichol (President)
- Andrew King (Vice-President)
- Neil Matheson (Treasurer)
- AnnMarie Oien (Secretary)
- Murray Brennan
- Chris White
- Helen Heslop
- Harlene Hayne (Ex Officio), Vice-Chancellor, University of Otago
- Philip Kearney (Ex Officio), Director of Development, University of Otago
- Alison Finigan (Ex Officio), Head of Alumni Relations, University of Otago
For further information visit www.alumniuoa.com
The University of Otago Foundation for Malaysia
The University of Otago Foundation for Malaysia was established in 2002.
- Tan Sri Datuk Amar Leo Moggie
- Tan Sri Dato’ (Dr) Haji Ahmad Azizuddin Haji Zainal Abidin
- University of Otago Chancellor, Mr John Ward
- University of Otago Vice-Chancellor, Professor Harlene Hayne
- Head of Alumni Relations Office, Alison Finigan
For further information please contact
Ong & Wong Management Accountants
Suite C6-5, 6th Floor
Megan Avenue II
12, Jalan Yap Kwan Seng
50450 Kuala Lumpur